Review: Back to the Vara by John Kerry

Back to the Vara (The Vara Volumes, #2)Back to the Vara by John Kerry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Daaaaaaaaaaamn! This book was even better than the first. It was so full of twists and turns, I never knew who to trust and what to think. Sammy's determination to stay in Perseopia conflicted with Hami's resolve to get her home, Mehrak and Hami's feelings for Sammy, the plan to get rid of the Ahriman, disaster and action at every turn. I loved it! Now I'm dying for book 3!

Thank you to the author for providing a copy for review.

EDIT: I wrote the above on my phone and really wanted to finish up on a computer so here goes.

While Sammy has grown up by two years since the last book, she is still a troubled young woman who makes rash decisions and doesn't listen to anyone. She's also becoming more complex, because she comes from an abusive household and now and then we see the darkness coming through - when she kills the rabbit, when she uses an animal up for her own purposes, and even regarding Mehrak/Gisouie. The thing that redeemed her was that she almost always recognized her dark feelings, and resolved to do better, to BE better. I loved her development, even if she was still a stubborn girl at heart.

Gisouie was completely opposite of how I expected her. I'm curious to see what role she plays in the next book, because there's a very complicated love triangle (quadrangle?) going on by the end of this and I honestly don't know who would be better partners.

I read the last few chapters with a lot of excitement and apprehension. Soooo much is left open-ended, and I don't know what Sammy is going to do. I'm seriously looking forward to the finale in book 3 to see how this all wraps up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller My rating: 3 of 5 stars OK. I'm going to come at this from the angle that everyone (exc...