2014 Look-Back: Overall Reading List

This year has been an interesting reading year for me.  I had a lot of fun discovering new authors and series I enjoyed, but also wasted a lot of time on books that I really didn't like.  It's been an up-and-down rollercoaster, but wow what a ride!  Below you can see a map of all of the books I read this year, courtesy of Goodreads.

In total I read 85 books, beating my goal of 60!  This was a huge accomplishment for me, not only because that's a lot of books, but also because it's my highest number yet since I started tracking in 2011.  Maybe I could be considered cheating since I counted short stories on here, but when they're counted on Goodreads as a book, I think it's only fair, right?

A few stats for my reading this year:

  • In total, I read 27,359 pages, almost double my page count for last year (16,717).  The longest book I read was The Abominable by Dan Simmons, weighing in at a hefty 663 pages!
  • I rated the majority of the books I read as 3 stars (33), followed by 4 stars (30), 2 stars (11), and 5 stars (8).  I only gave three books 1 star.
  • The oldest book I read was The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, published in 1988.  This is the first year in which I did not leave the last century.  From my Goodreads map, it looks like the majority of books I read were actually published in the last two or three years, and a few are actually being published in 2015.

Another thing I've been doing this year is participating in the What we've read in 2014 Listopia list.  I love seeing where my books fit in, what I've read compared to others, and how popular the books I've read this year were.  I'm not surprised by the books that ended up at the top, but I admit I'm surprised by some of the books that I read that ended up at the bottom!

In my next post, I'll explore some of the books I really enjoyed and highly recommend, and a few that I felt were complete duds.  In the meantime, take a look at my 2014 book map!


Megan's bookshelf: read

Citadel of Fire
Red Doc>
Since You've Been Gone
Autobiography of Red
Infinite
Dragonswood
3 a.m.
Mortal Heart
Asunder
Goddess Interrupted
The Goddess Test
Defiance
The Bards of Bone Plain
Incarnate
True Calling
Juliet's Nurse
Dark Triumph
Grave Mercy
The Thirteenth Tower
The Healer's War


Megan's favorite books »

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller My rating: 3 of 5 stars OK. I'm going to come at this from the angle that everyone (exc...