Review: Offworld

Offworld (Dangerous Times Collection Book #1)Offworld by Robin Parrish
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While this was an entertaining science fiction romp, I wasn't exactly feeling the Christian SF aspect. It seemed thrown in there for effect, but even then the story didn't make sense without it. I don't know why it bothered me, but it seems like there should have been more to what happened. I kind of said to myself, "That's it?"

And if the author is using "divine intervention" to explain how the crew got through everything they did, that felt more like a cop-out than a real tribute to God. Because none of it could have possibly happened the way it did without divine intervention, but it didn't feel genuine either. Gah, I feel so confused right now.

As a book, it was pretty good. It felt like he was trying to write a movie more than a novel, though. The fact that I couldn't figure out what was going on until the last 10% could be said to be the mark of a good writer, although it could also be said that what he was positing was so surreal that no one would have figured it out before the big reveal anyway.

See how conflicted I am?! I'm trying to leave positive remarks but then I get confused again... I feel like I have no idea what I just read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller My rating: 3 of 5 stars OK. I'm going to come at this from the angle that everyone (exc...