Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of OrĂ¯sha, #1)Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

OK. So. This book was amazing. I loved it. This is the first time in a LOOOOOOOONG time that a super-hyped-up book has actually met (and exceeded) my expectations. I am super impressed by the writing style, the inventiveness of the story, and how freaking awesome all the characters are (and not necessarily in a good way - Saran was a goddamn monster). Everyone (except maybe Inan, I had some issues with him) was completely fleshed out. They were living breathing human beings with pasts and lives and expectations. That is what so much modern fantasy is missing. I'm so tired of the Mary Sue protagonist. Zelie is as flawed as they come, and she is brilliant for it.

Two things took away from it for me, so that's why I'm knocking off a star:

1. Guh, the romance. I could suspend my disbelief about the magic because of course this is fantasy. I could not suspend my disbelief enough to believe that in the span of like two chapters, two hostile murderous enemies suddenly are making out like horny teenagers.

2. Zelie had a "sea-salt soul." I was reminded of it in *every single* Inan chapter. The repetition drove me nuts.

But this is love, so now I sit and wait for #2 to come out so I can figure out WTH happened at the end!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller My rating: 3 of 5 stars OK. I'm going to come at this from the angle that everyone (exc...